Phalaenopsis Orchids are also commonly known as Moth Orchids because some say the flowers look like moths in flight. The word 'phalaena' is given to a group of large moths.
Phalaenopsis Orchids are one of the most popular potted plants available on the market and will bloom for months at a time.
They are also available on the wholesale cut flower markets and are extremely popular as a wedding flower.
In the wholesale flower markets phalaenopsis Orchids are sold in two different ways these days:
1). Sold in a box containing 25 flower blooms. The box may contain two or three stems.
2). Sold in a box containing 5 equal length stems with between 6-9 flower blooms per stem.
The second and newest way to buy cut phalaenopsis with 5 equal length stems per box is very popular because the florist can be sure to have enough stems for the job in hand.
General Availability Chart
To get the best from your wholesale cut phalaenopsis orchids please read the care instructions below carefully:
- Most phalaenopsis orchids arrive with water bottles attached to the stems. Please note this is for transport purposes only.
- Remove the water bottles.
- Cut the stems by approx. 1 inch at 45 degrees with a sharp knife - not scissors. Scissors will crush the stems & prevent water from reaching the flower heads.
- Fill sterilised buckets with luke warm water and add flower food.
- Place the phalaenopsis orchids in the buckets.
- Leave over night to condition before using.
- Change the water in the vase at least daily to keep your phalaenopsis at their best.
- Phalaenopsis orchids are tropical flowers, so they must be kept warm. A centrally heated house is perfect.
Never leave cut flowers in direct sun light, near a radiator, in a draft or near fruit. (The gas used to ripen fruit will harm most flowers). Keep the phalaenopsis orchids in a warm place and always keep out of the way of children.