Aster, (otherwise known as September Flower), is a genus of the Asteraceae family. The name 'aster' is derived from the ancient Greek word meaning 'star' because of it's star shaped flower heads. Aster is a multi-headed flower used as a filler in the floristry trade. It also has the effect of adding softness to flower bouquets, arrangements and wedding flowers, (similar to gypsophilia). Aster is also popular in wedding flowers that require a cottage garden / vintage feel.
In the wholesale flower markets aster is sold in wraps of 25 stems and is available in stem lengths of 60 - 90cm depending on which grade and variety is required. Aster is available on the wholesale flower markets all year round. The main suppliers of aster to the UK flower markets are Holland and Israel.
General Availability Chart
To get the best from your wholesale cut aster please read the care instructions below carefully:
- Unpack from the cellophane wrapper immediately on receipt.
- Cut the stems at a 45 degree angle with a sharp knife.
- Fill sterilised buckets with luke warm water and add flower food.
- Place the aster in the buckets - do not cram in. Air must beable to easliy pass through the stems.
- Leave over night to condition before using.
Never leave cut flowers in direct sun light, near a radiator, in a draft or near fruit. (The gas used to ripen fruit will harm most flowers). Keep the aster in a cool place and always keep out of the way of children.