Gentiana is a genus of the Gentianaceae family. Although this is a very large family, there are only a few varieties available as a cut flower in the UK.
Over the years extracts from some varieties of gentiana have been used for flavourings in tonics, soft drinks, beer and vodka. Gentiana is fast becoming a very popular wedding flower.
In the wholesale flower markets fresh cut gentiana is sold in wraps of 10 or 20 stems. Stem lengths can vary from 60cm – 80cm depending on the grade required.
General Availability Chart
To get the best from your wholesale cut gentiana please read the care instructions below carefully:
- Cut the stems at a 45 degree angle with a sharp knife.
- Strip the lower foliage from the stems.
- Fill sterilised buckets with luke warm water and add flower food.
- Place the gentiana in the buckets.
- Leave over night to condition before using.
Never leave cut flowers in direct sun light, near a radiator, in a draft or near fruit. (The gas used to ripen fruit will harm most flowers). Keep the gentiana in a cool place and always keep out of the way of children.